Saturday, December 23, 2006

Notes of a Bored Man in Svay Rieng

The GRE studies continue, especially the oh-so relevant Math section, so if anyone has any questions about the circumference of Circle P with a radius of N, let me know. The Project Manager is out of town today, so I’m at home trying to convince myself to do some work, but Spider Solitaire on my computer is addicting. And why should I work when I can sit here and watch the chickens in our yard. Recently, I have begun taking the fight to the ants, who have occupied our yard and seem unwilling to be leveraged out. Raid and a plethora of other chemicals were doing the work, but I promised Maggie that I would refrain, so now I am reduced to poking in their nests with a stick and getting them stirred up, only to sic the chickens on them. I spent this afternoon watching them devour a dead house gecko, was even in the holiday spirit and pushed it closer to their little nest. There seems to be an unusual amount of butterflies out and about these days. Last week, when I was sitting outside, a whole….herd?….swarm?....gaggle? went by, and I promise you, it took 10 minutes for all of them to get past. Mind you, they were moving pretty quick like as well. Well, as many of you know, Maggie is currently sunning herself in Detroit and I have remained behind to watch over our affairs here. And those affairs would include….hold on let me think….ok, never mind, forget to affairs part, I’ve just remained behind. There is actually a bit of work at the shelter, but that will be next week. Mostly making sure they don’t overspend on their budget, which I am almost certain they will. The PM has a way of doing exactly what I told him not to do. “oh you brought a printer for the office?.....how are we going to feed the children this month?” Ok, he’s not quite that bad, but sometimes drives me crazy. We’re having a Christmas party at the shelter, despite being all Buddhists. You would be surprised the number of Christmas trees and Santas you can see around Phnom Penh, and not only in the tourist driven places. One of the fanciest hotels even had a huge Santa in an equally large sleigh full of gifts. Its another gem of American export – the commercialization of a holiday of a religion that most people here do not follow. At least the weather is cooler now, for “winter.” The days are still hot, though not obscenely, but the nights and early mornings are quite cool. The other day, sitting outside to have my coffee, around 6.30am I had to wrap a little blanket about myself. May not seem like much, but it’s a far cry from the 6.00am sweating of old. I’ll also mention in passing that the other day I killed the largest spider yet. I thought I had finished them off, but when this fella made his debut I doubted my shoe would be enough, as it was (and I won’t be exaggerate) about 6 inches in diameter. I am glad Maggie is gone because I squealed like a little girl when it made its move to finish me off once and for all. Luckily, I prevailed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home